Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Black Company - Glen Cook (Annals of the Black Company, Bk 1)

8 Feb 2015
I found this book at the library while searching for authors similar to Jim Butcher. Once I got into the book, I realized by "similar to Jim Butcher" it meant his Codex Alera stuff, not his Harry Dresden stuff. But I'm rarely one to put down a book, so I continued if for nothing else than the experience of a new (to me) author. It started out slow. I had a hard time getting involved in the story. I was about 80% of the way through before I finally reached that attachment stage.
This is a long-time-ago-fictional-magic-happening land, which isn't really my thing but it is well written and the characters are very real. I wasn't a fan of the style of magic he created, but it was used in appropriate measure.
I did get the feeling that this was a lot of running around pointlessly and mostly just preparation for the following books.

No comments:

Post a Comment