Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Hellblazer: Original Sins - Jamie Delano et. al. (Compilation 1)

14 Apr 2015
I've had a fascination with John Constantine for as long as I can remember and I have no idea why or how. I do not remember the first time I heard the name. I do not remember learning about him. He's been a character that I've known for too long like Batman or the Hulk that I don't remember when I first came across him. The bizarre part is unlike the 2 comic heroes I just named, Constantine is pretty obscure.  He's too dark to be a family-friendly anything, and no one in my family or friends read comics growing up, so I have honestly no idea where I came across him. But I like him.
Hellblazer is just dark enough, dirty enough to hit a sweet spot for me. I like his flippancy. I like how he doesn't always save the day. I like how he makes such poor choices. I like how his suffering is largely his own doing. I like that he seems close to a real person.
My only complaint: It's a comic book. Ironic, I know, perhaps bordering on ridiculous to say that I really like this comic book character and then complain that it is, in fact, a comic book. I would be madly in love with Constantine if he were in standard book format. I could get lost. In the comic format, I can't. I know many would attempt to burn me at the stake for saying such, but books filled only with words are superior to comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment