Saturday, February 2, 2019

A Beautiful, Terrible Thing - Jen Waite

This was a random pick recommended by my library's app: "If you liked this, you may also like this..." But nothing I've read was remotely like this, so I've no idea why it was recommended.
That being said, it was an interesting read, I'll give it that, but I certainly don't plan on reading anything similar ever again.  The book is about a woman's relationship that eventually crumbles and only afterwards does she finally recognize the signs of psychopathy in her husband.  It is both frightening and fascinating to watch this trainwreck of a relationship.  The author does a phenomenal job of detailing the obsessing many of us do when a relationship ends suddenly without it being slow, grating, or boring as I have seen in other relationship centered stories.  She also jumps back and forth in time very easily and clearly.  I've seen other authors unable to pull this off too.
Frankly, the only bad part of this story is the child. I hate children and do NOT want to continually hear about them.  Even the author writing about her cholicy child made me want to punch something! But, it was necessary because when the author began focusing on her child, she was no longer constantly stroking her husband's ego, jumpstarting the destruction of the relationship.  So it needed to be in there, and after she moved away from her husband, her child was pretty much her whole world, but ew.
Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes to watch relationship drama fiction as well as nonfiction unfolding on say facebook or so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment