Sunday, September 15, 2019

Anne of Green Gables - L. M. Montgomery

This was another "well, I never read it as a child" books.  I must confess, I hated this book as it started.  Anne rambled so much, I wanted to tell her to shut the hell up.  As the book progressed and the character was well-established, there was less need for the monologues of rambling.  The reader already knows the deal.  And then, as Anne ages, she does actually shut the hell up, which makes her much more palatable, in my opinion.  I like the whimsical ideas, but the delivery is poor.  It's supposed to be, it's a child ranting, but it sucks to read through it all.
As I said, eventually, it reached an "ok" point, but I believe I would have disliked this book as a child (the target reader) even more than I did today.

No comments:

Post a Comment