Saturday, March 21, 2015

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Sherman Alexie

21 Mar 2015
I decided to give this book a try after seeing it on a list of "100 books to read before you die" list. There are maybe 30 books on my TO READ list from this type of recommendation. Who knows if I'll ever get through them all, but this was a shorter book so I was able to tackle it (as compared to, say, Gone with the Wind, which is also on that list).
I wasn't real sure what to expect with this book being as I got it off a list rather than tracked it down through personal recommendation or following similar author leads, like the last 2 books I've reviewed.  It was not fantasy like the last few books I've read, but I liked it well enough. I don't know that I'd put it on a list titles "books you must read before you die" however. That being said, as far as coming-of-age books go (which I'm not a fan of) this was probably the best I've ever read (keep in mind, it's a short list, so that's not really saying that much).
I do think it would be a good book for middle schoolers to read. It addresses nearly all the obstacles they will soon encounter like fitting in, poverty (yours or a classmate's), death, friendship, originality, and learning what really matters in life. I believe any middle schooler could take away an important lesson from this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment