Thursday, July 9, 2015

Hellblazer: The Devil You Know – Jamie Delano et. al. (Compilation 2)

1 July 2015
The last story in this collection, and consequently the one freshest in my memory, I did not like. It was a little too convoluted for my taste. That aside, this collection was better than the first because it goes into the actual happenings at Newcastle, which is heavily referenced in both the previous collection and the television show (the impetus for me to finally get around to reading these). It starts off with a dated, but fantastically fun, romp into the 80’s idea of what the ether would be like (think gay Tron) to escape a devil come to claim Constantine’s soul.
I like the way these pit the flamboyantly bright colors popular in the 80’s against the incredibly dark verbal material. It is a delightful contrast that doesn’t allow it to stray too far in either direction. The exception this was that last story in this collection mentioned before. However, one of the following quotes is still from that section.
Great quotes from this:
#1) "Life's only duty is survival. We are all gods or demons-exerting the energy of will to squeeze the anarchic creativity of nature into our own image.
Stiff monuments, memorial only to the poverty of our imaginations. So swim. Embrace thought. Think.
Think what you are - what you would wish to be. Construct your future. Mold reality into a pleasing shape. Push on through - but know that all the world is subject to the arbitrary rule of sex and death."
#2) "Closed in the ruins of my room, it seems gravity increases its grip on me, focusing all my energy inward - -
Engulfing the nebulous fire of anger in my black, pulsating heart - -
Squeezing it remorselessly into glittering diamonds of pure, mathematical fury.
It is as if, turning over a stone, I have revealed the meaning of my life - and that meaning scuttles and spits and is called hatred.
And that hatred is ugly.
And that hatred is beautiful.
If he could read my mind - demon or no - he would be afraid.
I owe him a monstrous debt, and I swear - between the despair of heaven and the hope of hell - that debt will be paid in full."
#3) Your soul dies if you stop dreaming.
#4) Kid: See… I told ya he wouldn’t be here. You shoulda listened. You’re so stupid, Mom!
Mom: Don’t say that - you . . . you lyin’ little weasel! He will too come.
Constantine: Sure lady – and shit don’t stink. Vicious little brat, though, probably turn out to be a writer or some other kind of psychopath.

No comments:

Post a Comment