Monday, May 30, 2016

Caribbean - James Michener

This book is a series of short historical fiction stories based across the islands in the Caribbean.  It begins with the native Carib and Arawak peoples all the way up to the Cuban immigration into Miami in the 80's. Once you hit the 20th century, it gets pretty boring, but prior to that, I would absolutely recommend it to near anyone. Because it has short stories spread across different times and different islands, you could pick it up and put it down anytime and not lose anything because the stories are concise and separated from each other.
I was particularly fond of the politics of the islands during the periods of slavery. No matter how much I read on the subject, I cannot imagine justifying slavery.  Every slave revolt had the potential to succeed and I'm always surprised more didn't.
A great read, and recommended to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment